Waterford is a city located in the southeast of Ireland. It is the oldest city in Ireland, and it has a rich history that dates back to before Christianity arrived in the country. The city is home to many historical landmarks, including Reginald’s Tower and Christ Church Cathedral.
- The Vikings founded it in the late ninth century.
- It is Ireland’s oldest city.
- The name Waterford comes from the Norse word “Vatrfordr,” meaning “ford of the water.”
- It is the fifth most populous city in Ireland.
- Waterford has a population of over 47,000.
Waterford Major Attractions:
- Medieval Museum: The museum is located in the heart of Waterford City. It has a collection of artifacts from various eras, including Viking and Medieval times. These include weapons, jewelry, coins, and glassware. One of the main highlights here is an impressive silver hoard that dates back to 1526 AD!
- Reginald’s Tower: This tower was built in the 12th century, and it is one of the oldest structures in Ireland. It was initially used as a defensive tower, but nowadays, it is open to the public and houses a museum with exhibits on Waterford’s history.
- House of Waterford Crystal: This is the only place in the world where you can see how Waterford Crystal is made. The factory offers guided tours and a museum with exhibits on the history of crystal making.
- Christ Church Cathedral: This cathedral was founded by Vikings in 1779, and it is one of the oldest churches in Ireland. It has been rebuilt and renovated many times but retains its original Norman architecture.
- Mount Congreve Gardens: These gardens are located just outside Waterford City, and they are open to the public. They have a beautiful collection of plants, trees, and flowers from around the world.
- The Bishops Palace: This house was built in 1741 for the Bishop of Waterford and Lismore. It has an Italianate style with Palladian windows on the front. It is open to the public and contains a museum with exhibits on the history of the bishops of Waterford.
These are just some of the many attractions in Waterford. There are plenty more to see and do here, so why not visit this wonderful city?