Tamworth is a big market town in Staffordshire, England, neighboring Birmingham, Lichfield and Warwickshire. Tamworth, historically famous for its magnificent Castle and Moat House, has a population of 76,813 people and takes its name from River Tame, which flows through it. Furthermore, there are several places to visit, learn and have fun within this beautiful small city; the Tamworth Castle is one of them.
Take a step back in time and experience almost 1000 years of history with a visit to Tamworth Castle. You will get to uncover mysteries held within the hallways and chambers of this unique building and get a feel of how the Normans, Tudors, Victorians and Saxons lived.
Built in the southwest corner of a Saxon fortified burh, Tamworth Castle rose after the Norman Conquest and was rebuilt in stone during the twelfth century and later became the main residence of the Freville family. Moreover, it is said that the castle shortly experienced the Civil War when a Parliamentary force extricated the Royalist garrison.
What to Expect in the Castle
- The historic Tudor and Stuart chambers, alongside the Victorian reception rooms and the glorious late Medieval Great Hall.
- The new interactive Anglo-Saxon exhibition with a mead hall and artifacts from the Staffordshire Hoard tells the historical story of Mercia.
- The Augmented Reality trail around the castle brings history to life and makes your sightseeing more authentic and exciting.
- You are allowed to try on period costumes, real armor, hold the swords and learn more about Saxon beginnings and battle plans through to the Victorian times.
- Onsite restaurant with plenty of food and snacks to eat away your hunger.
The other best thing apart from exploring the Tamworth castle is the castle grounds. These grounds offer plenty of fun, especially for your children in the enclosed outdoor play park. For Instance:
- An enormous play castle and pirate ship.
- A tennis court, skate park, and bowling area for sports lovers.
- Beautiful floral terraces leading down to the shores of the River Anker, where you can go for walks
- An open grassland great for picnics in the summer
If you are visiting Tamworth, do not miss a chance to tour Tamworth Castle as it offers an excellent day out for the entire family. Besides, there is plenty to see and do with access to displays and costumes. Also, get a chance to eat special delicacies from the restaurants in Tamworth as you interact with the friendly locals.