Today’s spot of the day is the beautiful city of Miramar in South Florida. The area totals roughly 31.3 sq mi, 1.8 of which is comprised of water.
Here’s a quick look at the city as a whole.
If you’re going to visit Miramar, be sure to stop in at least one of these fun places.
- The Miramar Cultural Center and ArtsPark celebrates diversity and creativity.
- The Miramar Branch Library Education Center. It has over 80,000 different pieces of media, including video games. Also on site are a 100-seat multi-purpose room, group study room, conference room, tutoring rooms, and over 50 public computers.
- The Miramar Regional Park Amphitheater showcases live concert performances and outdoor entertainment at an open-air venue that seats 5,000 people.
- Miramar was founded by A.L. Mailman as a “bedroom community” for Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
- It was incorporated on May 26, 1955, with an original founding population of fewer than 200 people.
- Miramar was named after an area in Havana, Cuba, where the A.L. Mailman owned a summer home.
- The first mayor Robert Gordon and the city council were sworn in on June 20, 1955.
Here are some of Miramar’s most notable residents:
- Johnny Depp, Actor
- Jason Derulo, Singer
- Wayne Cochran, Singer
- Alcee Hastings, U.S. Representative
- Daniel Braverman, NFL Football Player
- Wayne Messam, Presidential Candidate
- Lionel Brown, Professional Soccer Player
- Jon Beason, NFL Football Player
- David E. Canter, Sports Agent
- Larry Gordon, NFL Football Player