Located in the central Atlantic Ocean, Mindelo has grown from a small settlement to a full-fledged city with over seventy thousand inhabitants.
- Mindelo is a port city found on the island of Sao Vicente in Cape Verde. The city is home to the majority of the island's population.
- Mindelo was originally called Nossa Senhora da Luz and later renamed Leopoldina in 1820. In 1838 it was finally given the name Mindelo, which has stuck to date.
- Mindelo was granted city status in 1879. Before that, Mindelo was granted town status in 1858.
- Palácio dos Povo, translated to the people's palace, was previously the Palácio do Governo. The building was completed in 1874, and renovations were done between 1928 to 1934.
- The Fortim d'El Rei is an impressive fortress built in 1852.
- Another impressive building in Mindelo is the Paços do Concelho which was built in 1860.
- You can also find a statue of Diogo Afonso right on Mindelo Beach.