Marrakesh is a bustling city in western Morocco that is a sensory delight. Often called the “red city,” it has a dizzying combination of stunning sights, eclectic sounds and fabulous tastes that can be overwhelming. However, the experience is one you will never forget.
This city is one of the busiest in all of Africa and a huge economic center. It is steeped in tradition and filled with friendly people. There is no shortage of varied and exciting things to see and do in Marrakesh. These are just a few of the essentials:
- The Medina of Marrakesh is the old part of the city filled with locals doing their shopping at the many gorgeous markets. Stop and have a cup of mint tea or browse through the colorful crafts and goods offered by the vendors.
- Djemaa El Fna, the plaza at the center of the medina, is filled with music, food vendors and fun.
- Take in the colorful and detailed tile work at the Bahia Palace.
- Visit the Jardin Majorelle.
- Don’t forget some of the top tourist sites of Badi Palace and the Koutoubia Mosque.
- Appreciate the opulence of the Saadian Tombs of Sultan Ahmed Al Mansour.
- Take a day trip to the Atlas Mountains or explore the local and surrounding scenery by hot air balloon.
- Go for a camel ride in the desert.
- Interact with locals at a public Hamman or steam bath.
You will never forget a visit to the rich and vibrant city of Marrakesh. Gaze upon the fantastic architecture and immerse yourself in the rich culture that stems from Berber, Arabic and French influence