Located in the beautiful country of Argentina you will find the charming, historical city of La Plata. Known for being the capital of Buenos Aires Province, La Plata is rich in culture and hosts various carnivals and festivals each year.
Weather in La Plata
- La Plata has a humid, subtropical climate
- During La Plata’s coldest month, temperatures can dip to 8.9 °C (48.0 °F)
- Snowfall in La Plata is shockingly low. The city has seen only five major snowfalls between the years 1912 and 2012.
La Plata Population
- The metro-area population of La Plata currently hovers around 894,000 people.
La Plata Geography
- La Plata is situated 9km off the southern shore of Río de la Plata.
- La Plata is surrounded by nearby cities such as Ensenada, Berisso, Berazategui, Florencio Varela, San Vicente, Coronel Brandsen, and Magdalena.
Tourism in La Plata
La Plata is full of stunning, historical buildings, cathedrals, theatres, libraries, and more. If you’re planning a trip to the area, here are a few places you need to check off of your bucket list:
- Plaza Moreno: This municipal plaza features gardens, water installations, and sculptures. Many community events are hosted here.
- Casa de Gobierno Provincial: House Government of the Province of Buenos Aires.
- La Plata Museum: A natural history museum in the city.
- Teatro Argentino de La Plata: one of the city’s most prominent lyric opera houses.
Tourists may also enjoy the excitement of a live football game. La Plata is home to two prominent football clubs: Estudiantes de La Plata and Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata. Both teams currently play in Argentina’s premier division.
From sports fans to architecture lovers, the city of La Plata has a little something for everyone.