Kastoria, located in the region of Macedonia, is a town known for its stunning lakeside location and exceptional architectural heritage. A popular tourist destination thanks to its many Byzantine churches, Kastoria is also home to a lively market square and a fascinating folklore museum. Whether you’re looking for a picturesque place to relax or some adventure activities to keep you busy, Kastoria has something for everyone.
- The town is nicknamed ‘the Fur Capital of Greece’ as it has been a center for the fur industry since the Byzantine era.
- The town has a population of about 35,000 people.
- The town is built on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Orestiada
Kastoria Major Attractions
- Lake Orestiada – This beautiful lake is located just outside of Kastoria. The scenic lake that surrounds Kastoria is a big draw for tourists. With plenty of activities to enjoy on and around the water, it’s easy to spend a few days here exploring everything the area offers.
- Byzantine Museum of Kastoria – This museum is dedicated to the Byzantine period in Kastoria’s history. The museum has an extensive collection of artifacts and art from that time and interactive exhibits that help bring the era to life.
- Dragon’s Cave – This cave is located a few kilometers from Kastoria and is known for the dragon-shaped stalactites that hang from its ceiling. Visitors can explore the cave on foot or by boat, depending on their preference.
- Folklore Museum of Kastoria (Nerantzis Aivazis Mansion) – This museum is housed in a beautiful 16-17th-century mansion. The museum showcases traditional Macedonian costumes, musical instruments, and other items from Kastoria’s rich cultural heritage.
- Aquarium of Kastoria – The Aquarium of Kastoria is a great place to learn about the local wildlife. The aquarium has a wide variety of fish, reptiles, and amphibians on display.
- Prehistorical Lakeside Settlement of Dispilio – This archaeological site is located on the banks of Lake Orestiada. The settlement is believed to date back to the Neolithic period and offers a fascinating glimpse into early human life.
- Market Square – Kastoria’s market square is a great place to buy souvenirs or take in the sights and sounds of local life. With its many stalls and restaurants, the market square is a great place to spend an afternoon.
Kastoria is a town with a lot to offer visitors. With its stunning lake setting, rich history, and diverse range of activities, it’s no wonder that Kastoria is a popular tourist destination. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing vacation or an action-packed adventure, Kastoria is sure to have something for you.
I was unaware of this lovely town. I hope to travel to Greece one day and will surely include it and Macedonia in my plans.