Göttingen is a city located in Lower Saxony, Germany. It has a rich history and is known for its baroque architecture. Göttingen has played an important role in German history, serving as a residence of the kings of Hanover and as a center of learning. It is home to one of the oldest universities in Europe, the University of Göttingen, founded in 1736. Göttingen is also a popular tourist destination, especially among students and scholars.
- The population of Göttingen is more than 118,00 people.
- The city was founded between 1150 and 1200 AD.
- Göttingen has a long history of being a center for academic excellence.
- Some of the most famous people from Göttingen include mathematician David Hilbert and physicist Max Born.
Göttingen Famous Attractions
- Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall): The Altes Rathaus is a baroque-style town hall in Göttingen built between 1270 and 1443. The building currently serves as the city’s museum of local history.
- The St. John’s Church: The St. John’s Church is a gothic church built in the 14th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Göttingen and features a tall spire.
- University of Göttingen: The University of Göttingen is one of the oldest universities in Europe, founded in 1736. It is also one of Germany’s most prestigious universities.
- Gänseliesel: Gänseliesel is a statue of a girl located in the center of Göttingen. The statue is a popular tourist attraction and has become an unofficial city symbol.
- St. Jacobi: St. Jacobi is a church located in the center of Göttingen. The church was built in the 13th century and is now a popular tourist attraction.
- Old Botanical Garden of Göttingen University: The Old Botanical Garden of Göttingen University is located at the University of Göttingen. The garden is open to the public and features a variety of plants and flowers.
If you’re looking for a charming German town with a rich history, look no further than Göttingen. This university town is home to well-preserved architecture and exciting attractions, making it the perfect destination for a day or weekend trip.