Are you looking for a charming and remarkably well-preserved medieval town in Belgium? Look no further than Ghent. This vibrant city is home to some of the most beautiful architecture in all of Europe, and its lively cultural scene is sure to keep you entertained. Whether you’re interested in exploring its many museums and art galleries or simply walking through the picturesque streets, Ghent is worth visiting.
- Ghent was founded in the year 630 by Saint Amand
- It is the capital and largest city of the East Flanders province
- Ghent is a port and has strategic importance because of its location at the confluence of the Scheldt and Lys rivers
- Ghent is known as the “City of Flowers” because of its many flower markets
Ghent Major Attractions
- Gravensteen – Also known as the “Castle of the Counts”, this 13th-century castle is one of the most iconic landmarks in Ghent. Visitors can take a tour of the castle, including a visit to the torture chamber and dungeon.
- Saint Bavo’s Cathedral – This Gothic cathedral is one of Ghent’s most important religious sites. It houses the world-famous “Adoration of the Lamb” painting by Jan van Eyck.
- Het Belfort van Gent – This 14th-century belfry tower is the symbol of the city and offers stunning views of Ghent from its top. Visitors can climb to the top of the tower for a panoramic view of the city.
- Museums – Ghent is home to several excellent museums, including the Museum Voor Schone Kunsten (Museum of Fine Arts), which houses a collection of paintings by Flemish masters. The Design Museum Gent is also worth visiting, as it contains an extensive collection of furniture and industrial design.
- Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen – This nature reserve is located just outside Ghent and is a great place to go for a walk or bike ride. It’s also home to several interesting historical sites, such as the Gallo-Roman villa of Sint-Baafsabdij.
- Sint-Michielsbrug – This bridge spans the Lys river and offers beautiful views of Ghent. It’s a popular spot for photos, especially at night when street lights illuminate the city.
These are just a few reasons why Ghent is such a great city to visit. So, what are you waiting for? Book your tickets and come explore this beautiful Belgian gem!