Faro is the southernmost city of the Algarve region of Portugal and has an estimated population of 60,995. It is packed with interesting history and culture and can make a perfect day trip or a base for further exploration of the region.
This coastal city has a Mediterranean climate and is well worth a visit. Here are a few of the attractions you should check out and popular activities:
- Sightsee at the picturesque fishing harbor.
- Take a relaxing boat tour.
- Check out the nearby lagoons to watch the varieties of birds and wildlife that live in the area.
- Take a bus to one of the beautiful pristine beaches and bask in the sun or play in the waves.
- Walk the cobbled streets of the historic city center. This area is still surrounded by the ancient walls that were raised during the Moorish era.
- Venture out into the modern part of the city for some shopping and an excellent meal at one of the many restaurants.
- Marvel at the Gothic cathedral or the Paco Episcopal palace.
- Brush up on history with a trip to the Faro Museum.
- If you want a unique adventure, pay a visit to the Capela Dos Ossos, also called the Bone Chapel. It was decorated with the bones of more than 1000 monks.
There is no shortage of things to do in the exciting city of Faro. It was first settled in the 4th century B.C. and passed through several different rulers, from the Phenicians to the Romans and then the Moors. With centuries of stories, there is plenty to learn and see.