Dorfgastein is one of the most beautiful towns in Austria, located in the heart of the Gastein Valley. The well-preserved old town is nestled among the mountains and offers stunning views. Dorfgastein is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and relax in nature.
Dorfgastein Town Facts:
- Dorfgastein is located in the province of Salzburg, Austria.
- The area was first documented as ze Dorff in Gastein’s oldest mining regulations of 1342.
- It has a population of over 2,000 people.
- Tourism is the main industry in Dorfgastein.
Dorfgastein Major Attractions:
- The Gastein Valley is an excellent place for skiing and snowboarding. The Dorfgastein ski resort has plenty of slopes for all skill levels, as well as a kids’ park and tubing area.
- Hiking and mountain biking are also popular in the Gastein Valley. There are many trails to choose from, and the views are simply breathtaking.
- The thermal springs in Gastein Valley are a major attraction. The water has healing properties, and there are several spas where you can enjoy a relaxing massage or soak in the mineral-rich waters.
- If you’re looking for some culture, be sure to visit the Burg Klammstein, a medieval castle that’s now a museum. It’s open year-round and offers stunning views of the valley below.
- Last but not least, the restaurants in Dorfgastein are some of the best in Austria. There are various options to choose from, so you’re sure to find something to your taste.
No matter what time of year you visit, Dorfgastein is sure to charm you with its natural beauty and small-town charm. So if you’re looking for a relaxing getaway in Austria, be sure to add Dorfgastein to your list!
What might be a good addendum to this article is a mention of the quality of the snow/slopes. Besides Dorfgastein being a very welcoming destination, the skiing is phenomenal on most days. Crystal base with little appreciable ice makes for consistent controlled runs. While you won’t be pumping out huge blasts of powder with your cuts like you might in Western U.S., the dependability of your downhill no matter what route you choose is going to be consistent and, in a word, fun.
Please include a map for locations.