When most travelers think of Sri Lanka, they imagine pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lush jungles. The country is well-known for having some of the world's most beautiful landscapes, but Sri Lanka also has a vibrant history and culture worth exploring. Colombo, the capital city, is a great place to start. With its blend of old and new, it offers a glimpse into the country's past and present. Here are some of the things to enjoy while in Colombo.
- Colombo is the largest city and commercial capital of Sri Lanka
- This Sri Lankan city is on the west coast of the island and has a population of over 750,000 people
- The city is a mix of old colonial architecture and modern skyline buildings
- Colombo is a multicultural city with a diverse population of Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims, and Christians
- Colombo is home to many museums, temples, churches, and mosques
Colombo Major Attractions:
- Gangaramaya Temple – This Buddhist temple is one of the most important in Sri Lanka. It is home to a museum, library, and school, and it hosts regular events such as meditation classes and cultural festivals.
- National Museum – The National Museum of Colombo is a great place to learn about the country's history and culture. The museum hosts an extensive collection of artifacts from the country's ancient past.
- Galle Face Green – This is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. It is a large open space that offers views of the Indian Ocean, and it is also a great place for people to watch or take a stroll.
- Colombo Fort – The Colombo Fort is a former Dutch fort that is now home to the Sri Lankan military. It is also home to several government buildings, including the Presidential Palace.
- St. Anthony's Shrine, Kochchikade – This Catholic church is one of Colombo's most popular tourist attractions. This church has become famous for its beautiful architecture and unique position on a small island in a lake.
- Crow Island Beach Park – This is a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking. It is also a popular place for local fishers to sell their catch.
- Dehiwala Zoological Garden – This is the largest zoo in Sri Lanka, and it is home to a variety of animals and features exotic creatures like elephants, tigers, and leopards. It is also a great place to learn about the conservation efforts made to protect the country's wildlife.
- Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya – This Buddhist temple is known for its beautiful golden statue of the Buddha. It is the perfect spot for birdwatching in Colombo, as it is home to a variety of birds, including parrots and peacocks.
So if you're looking for more than just beaches and jungle treks, be sure to add Colombo to your travel list. There is plenty to see and do in this vibrant city, and you're sure to come away with a new appreciation for the country's history and culture.