Today’s spot of the day is the American city, Carlsbad, California.
- Carlsbad is a city in the scenic North County region of San Diego County, on the California coast near the southernmost end of the Pacific Coast Highway. It is home to gorgeous sandy beaches and lovely lagoons. This city offers a great shopping experience and world-class sporting events.
- It is located 35 miles north of downtown San Diego and 87 miles south of Los Angeles and should not be confused with Carlsbad in New Mexico. Both Carlsbad in California and Carlsbad in New Mexico were named after the famous Bohemian spa resort town, Karlovy Vary, which is known as Carlsbad in English, after the German name Karlsbad.
- Carlsbad sported California’s very first skatepark, which opened on March 3, 1976. It hosted the World Skateboard Championship in 1977 and closed down in 1979.
- Since 1999, Carlsbad has also been home to the LEGOLAND California Resort, the very first LEGOLAND theme park to be established outside of Europe. It features the world’s first LEGOLAND Water Park.
- Carlsbad’s beaches are perfect for leisurely strolls, sunbathing, swimming, diving, surfing, birdwatching, hiking, biking and beach sports, to name but a few.
- Other places of interest include a huge flower garden called The Flower Fields, the Museum of Making Music, Miniland USA, the Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park, SEA LIFE Aquarium, the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve, the Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum and much more.
- Carlsbad is also a golfer’s paradise, with many golf courses and golf resorts to choose from.