Barcelona is a must-visit city on the list of many travelers around the world. There are many good reasons for this. Take a look at the following interesting facts about Barcelona, and get ready to pack your bags.
- When it comes to rich history, Barcelona is older than even Rome. From its buildings to historical monuments, Barcelona benefits from centuries of existence.
- Barcelona was originally the intended recipient of the Eiffel Tower. However, the city rejected the offer out of fear that it would detract from the existing skyline.
- Visiting the FC Barcelona football stadium will bring you to the largest such venue in all of Europe. The stadium seats 100,000 fans.
- Barcelona is a great place to eat great food, being home to at least 22 Michelin-Starred restaurants. You will never be far away from a great meal when in Barcelona.
- Barcelona's buildings are world-renowned, and it is the only city in the world to have been awarded a Royal Gold Medal for architecture, which it received in the 1800s. People all over the world continue to marvel at the eloquence of the buildings located across Barcelona.
- Construction on the Basilica of the Sagrada Familia began in 1882, but it is still not yet complete. This has turned into a major tourist attraction. Even though it is not complete, it is still beautiful.
- Barcelona actually has two official languages that its people speak; Spanish and Catalonia are equally embraced by its residents.
- The largest city park in the world is in Barcelona. This park is 22 times bigger than the one in Manhattan, New York.
- Barcelona has been recognized as one of the most eco-friendly regions on the planet.
- There are 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites located within Barcelona.