Ashdod, located on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, is one of the most ancient cities in Israel. It is one of the oldest cities globally, with a rich history that dates back to Biblical times. Ashdod is known for its beaches and as the main port city. It is also home to some amazing archeological sites that are worth exploring. If you’re looking for a sunny beach town with plenty of history to explore, Ashdod is the place for you.
- It was founded in 1956.
- The population of Ashdod was over 220,000 as of 2016.
- It is the sixth-largest city in Israel.
- The port of Ashdod is the busiest seaport in Israel.
Ashdod Major Attractions:
- Ashdod Museum of Art: The Ashdod Museum of Art is a small museum located in the city center. It features exhibits of Israeli and international artists and rotating temporary exhibitions.
- Museum of Philistine Culture: The Museum of Philistine Culture is dedicated to the history and culture of the Philistines. It features exhibits on archeology, art, and daily life in ancient Philistia.
- Ashdod-Yam Park: Ashdod-Yam Park is a large park located on the seafront. It features walking trails, playgrounds, and a beach.
- Old City of Ashdod: The Old City of Ashdod is an archeological site located in the city center. It features ruins from the Philistine and Roman periods.
- Ashkelon National Park: The Ashkelon National Park is a large park located outside Ashdod. It features ruins from the Philistine, Canaanite, Israelite, and Roman periods.
- Ashdod Yam Fort: The Ashdod Yam Fort is a fort located in the harbor of Ashdod. The Ottoman Turks built it in the 16th century.
- Ashdod Sand Dune: This is a large sand dune located on the beach near Ashdod-Yam Park. It is a popular spot for hang gliding.
- Pirate Park: Pirate Park is a theme park located in Ashdod. It features rides, games, and a pirate-themed waterpark.
- Ashdod Marina: The Ashdod Marina is a large marina located in the city center. It is home to many restaurants and shops.
- Park Etgarim: Park Etgarim is a large park located north of Ashdod. It features a playground, water park, and petting zoo.
- Lachish River Park: Lachish River Park is a large park located east of Ashdod. It features a riverwalk, bike trails, and playgrounds.
If you’re looking for a sunny beach town with plenty of history to explore, Ashdod is the place for you.