If you are looking for a picturesque seaside resort, then Argostoli is the place for you. Argostoli has a population of approximately 10,633 and is located on the island of Kefalonia, which is part of the Ionian Islands of Greece.
It is conveniently situated to allow for trips to the nearby beaches and quaint and beautiful villages. There are plenty of things to do for the traveler who loves history and discovering new cultures, as well as those who enjoy leisurely beach time and outdoor exploration. Be sure to put these highlights on your list for your visit:
- Take a cruise or a boat tour to check out the sights. You can even rent a boat if you prefer to do your sightseeing on your own schedule.
- Stroll through the markets that are set up at the harbor on Saturdays.
- Take a walk along the waterfront to marvel at the views.
- Go to one of the stunning beaches. Myrtos Beach is a good choice if you don’t know where to start.
- Visit the bird sanctuary of Koutavos Lagoon.
- Check out the town square of Platia Valianou and relax with a coffee or get a drink at one of the many bars or restaurants.
- Go to one of the museums or Korgialenios Library.
- If you love the outdoors, then a trip to Drogarati Cave and Melissani Lake is a must.
Argostoli has a unique history. It had to be rebuilt in 1953 after an earthquake elevated the entire island by about 60 centimeters. The locals remained true to the ancient architecture and rebuilt it in the Venetian and Neoclassical styles.
For a memorable vacation full of beautiful beaches and interesting history, Argostoli has it all.